Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day


Today is a day that we dedicate to Mom. Mom's are pretty great, aren't they? They take care of us when we are sick. They change our diapers and put up with puking when we are little. And, some how, they just have a way of making everything better.
When I first went off to college, I called my mom every day the first year I was away. Every day. I missed her a lot. Some days I called excited to tell her about a good grade I got. Some days I called her crying with something that had gone wrong. Some days I was laughing; others I was tired. But mom was always there to talk, no matter what time or day.
I remember in particular the first time I was sick at college. It wasn't anything severe - just a cold or something, but man, did I miss my mom. There is just something about a mom that knows how to make you feel better when you are sick or comfort you when you are having a bad day, and they do it like no one else can.
In short, Moms rock. I hope that you take time today to let your mom know that. She definitely deserves to be told.
You know what else reminds me of mothers? God.
Usually, when we think of God, we think of him as our Father. And there is nothing wrong with that at all! But, I think sometimes it is helpful to think of God as our mother as well.
I know it's a little strange, but think of all the ways God is like our mother - God is caring, compassionate, loving, and tender.
In fact, there is a scripture where Jesus talks about being like a mother. Luke 13:34 says, "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!"
Jesus says that he wishes he could gather us together, just like a mom hen gathers her chicks together. I love that thought of God gathering us up, protecting us, and shielding us, just like a mother would do.
So, today, as you honor your moms, make sure you also thank God for being motherly and taking care of you when you need it most. God is definitely awesome like that!

No comments: